Friday 28 September 2012

busted

there's a ghost in the room.

i heard it. i caught the change in the air. perception judged with another sense i haven't got words for.

she saw me. we crossed on the landing. i bowed my head in respect. i would have taken my hat off had i been a gentleman. but this is a detail neither of us cared for. we circled each other. trying to keep our distances and histories and prominent emotional auras to ourselves.

she looked down and acted disinterested. she couldn't fool me, i knew she was curious. i chose to walk on my tiptoes. not because of fear, just trying to be elegant and limit my clumsiness. being sure of yourself is a sure-fire hit with the ladies.

she started to talk. mouth full of energy and intent. a voice so quiet i was deafened. i understood immediately her light and tactful tone. playful words darting out of her causing a wave of particles heading towards my direction. i absorbed them through my core, becoming them at her instruction. but every time i tried to reply she would stop and stare blankly. oh i could never impress her like that. i looked down in embarrassment.

she passed me and nodded goodbye. i wished for a long black coat and a walking stick to accompany my sorrow at her loss of life and then i wished for better timing. had all those years not been between us, i would have met my one.

No comments:

Post a Comment